Requirements for public rating
When you rate a product, you will need information on:
- the sources of the fibre used in the paper: content levels of post-consumer recycled, pre-consumer recycled and virgin fibre; and information any certification or eco-labelling schemes used to verify fibre sources
- fossil CO2 emissions from pulp and paper manufacturing processes expressed as kg/tonne of paper product
- waste to landfill, measured as kg/tonne of paper product
- emissions to water, measured in terms of AOX and COD as kg/tonne of paper product
- data on environmental managements systems (such as ISO 14001)
WWF recommends the use of WWF Check Your Paper Users Manual (pdf file, 264 kB) for guidelines and instructions on how to rate paper products.